Friday, January 28, 2011

Caring For The Caregivers

We might not recognize it, but our families and our friends are our caregivers, as much as the professionals that treat us. And, just like us, they need care as well. Our illness, also affects those care for and love us.

I have a family of caregivers. Not only are we dealing with my terrible migraine monster, we also work together to care for my mother-in-law who has alzheimer's disease. I have been given the gift of knowing a little about both worlds. Though let it be known that I would gladly give up both of these gifts.

Being a caregiver takes a lot of energy. Energy to use for ourselves and to give to those we care for. That energy doesn't come to us wrapped in a bow or in an energy drink. It takes knowing resources and tricks of the trade.

I just recently found the National Family Caregivers Association (NFCA) is an entity that has compiled a lot of resources. They have a virtual library of information and educational materials ranging from national educational campaigns to Tips and Tools for family caregivers. They provide information on agencies and organizations which provide caregiver support.

https://www.thefamilycaregiver.org/caregiving_resources/ is the URL to the resources page.

Share this information with your family caregivers, and help them to cope. You can use them yourself, and maybe you'll find some ways for you to cope with your illness as well.


 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and

comment. I appreciate and value the interaction.