Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Migraine: Beginning or End

Migraine: Beginning or End

On November 10, 2008 my employment as the manager of the student computing resources for a School in a large University came to an end. I officially became disabled and started long term disability after years of struggle to fight my affliction and depression.

I am a migraine sufferer. I am at this time only 47 years old and have had migraine headaches for the last 27 years. This is not the first time my pain has cost me a part of my life, and may not be the last. I hope that my experiences may help others to find the answers needed in their own lives. I start this site today in order to continue my passions for teaching, working with technology, and finding hope.

This is one of two blogs that I am beginning as of today. One, “Hey-Andy”, is accessible from the navigation menu above and is dedicated to helping the students I once supported as well as anyone needing help with a technology issue. This, the second, is my attempt to provide other migraine sufferers with some insight, and help in dealing with this devastating disease while hopefully helping me to deal with my own circumstances.

The intention of this blog is to keep a current journal of my trek from this day forward. And, to journal entries pertaining to the passage that has led me to this part of my life. The two will run concurrent, and as I document my plight, I will provide access to the information that is at my, and now your disposal.

I have collected all my available medical records, calendars, journals, lists of treatments, medications and more, from about twenty years. It’s too much to publish all at once, but over time, it will be done.

I have tried about every possible treatment, and struggle not to roll my eyes when someone offers a complimentary “have you tried...”. I know how hard it is to find good and valid information online. As an IT professional, I know my way around the internet, and I know that there are too many old or discarded articles that are useless or of little value as well as supposed cure-all supplements and pharmaceutical propaganda. No one has all the answers. Although, I have been asked for my suggestions for treating migraines from from neurologists and other migraine sufferers, I don’t claim to have the answers either. Finding the right treatment for one person will not provide the definitive answer for everyone else.

This site is first, intended to be therapy for myself, and second, help to anyone else that can get something positive from it.

Please feel free to join me on this journey. No, really, PLEASE join me.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and

comment. I appreciate and value the interaction.