Friday, November 14, 2008

Migraine: Laughter is the Best Medicine? Well, Almost.


Well it’s official. I am a blogger. This is my second post to this blog. Just had to pinch myself (I actually did that, but only to see if it took my mind off my pain for a few minutes). What is the emoticon for a feeble attempt at humor?

õ.O

This one works for me. I just found it on Wikipedia. Just looking at these put a smile on my face.

I try as hard as I can to keep my sense of humor. It’s too easy to let the pain keep me in a funk. Even on good days find me walking along with a chip on my shoulder, not knowing when the pain is going to strike me down again.

Wait, I think this one is better for a feeble attempt ...

:-|

It’s important for several reasons, for me to push through the “bubble of pain” that has engulfed my life and force myself to smile. It’s important for my relationships with family and friends. Especially for my family. Living with a cave man (not belittling my own looks ~ just where I spend the majority of my time) is not a party for them. It really puts a strain on everyone when I wear my pain on my sleeve all the time. I see it affect each person in my family and their interactions with each other. Setting a positive example for them is one of the most important things in my life.

It’s important to my sanity to find humor and enjoyment somewhere in my life. By putting a smile on my face, even if I feel like I am going through the motions, eventually makes me feel better. By doing the things that I would do if I didn’t feel like a depressed ogre, I am actually doing something to help myself get better. I have discussed this phenomenon with my counselor and he told me that this is a documented therapy. My behavior changes can help to modify brain chemistry and ease my depression.

It’s important to remember that I am not the only person in my life being plagued by migraine headaches. The people around me are suffering as well. They may not have a headache, but their pain is just as real, if not as physical. Trying my best to be myself (the real me) is one way to help myself and my family.

I found this video about dealing with family members during a migraine, and other good videos at the web site for Zomig.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and

comment. I appreciate and value the interaction.