Monday, April 11, 2011

Migraine: Say "Know" to Drugs.

Too many times, my doctors have looked at the records and decided that they need to start from the beginning. Use the same medication(s) as the previous “healthcare professional”. Being a fairly intelligent man, having done YEARS of my own first hand research, I have had more experience with migraines than almost all of the doctors I have seen. The funny thing is that I have only now realized my own expertise with my particular situation and gained the courage to speak out.
When a doctor tries to implement a medication therapy that I know has been tried to no effect, I’m no longer shy. I tell ‘em, “Been there, done that, and I’m not gonna try it again”. There are too many times that the medicine’s side effects, are as bad as, or worse than the ailment. Too many times that I let a doctor tell me that I didn’t stick with it long enough, or that I didn’t reach a high enough dosage. With my collected records showing medicines, dosage, and side effects, I can now show proof that a previous treatment attempt was not worth trying again.
I guess my point is that I have to take control and supervision responsibilities for my own treatment. I am the only one who is truly concentrating on my medical condition and knows the day to day progress or lack thereof. I must continue to keep my daily journal during each treatment regimen, keep an up-to-date copy of all my medical files including tests and films and keep an up-to-date drug list with all the medications that have been attempted. Don’t just list the medications that have been tried, but keep track of the dosage and duration of each as well as the side effects experienced while taking them. This way I can show the doctor what I already know to be treatments that do not work. This will save both of us time and save me a lot of trouble!
If anyone has to start over with a new doctor, they should be prepared. Take your records, your imaging and your journal.

Tell your doctor what you KNOW.







 




No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and

comment. I appreciate and value the interaction.