Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Water Down Your Migraine Hangover

Water is an essential in our lives. So much so, that you can now buy, what used to be free, at almost any store you enter. Its even become important to many that they buy their drinking water and not drink from the tap. Water is an essential in keeping us alive. I have installed a water softener system that filters the water at my house, and really believe that my "home" water tastes better than store bought and much better than drinking straight from the tap. But I have drifted from the overall message.

During a migraine attack, water may be the last thing that you think of and can be forgotten all together. Drinking something to help feel better may be one of the last things on your list of migraine tools.

I find it to be as important to drink as much water as I can during and after a migraine attack. I don't just use it to wash down my medicines, but literally drink as much as I am able.  It is so easy to become dehydrated when I am suffering so much for so long. Being dehydrated can also lead to a worsening of my pain and migraine symptoms.

Just like an alcohol hangover, the migraine hangover can be "watered down". Water is also very important for beating the migraine hangover. Keeping up fluid levels in my body helps me to recover more quickly and keeps me from dehydrating. I try to drink at least 64 oz. ( 2L) of water each day.

In addition to the symptoms of actual dehydration, you may also have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or the feeling that you "can't keep anything down," All of which could be causing the dehydration. It may be that the lack of sufficient water is one of your triggers.

It's hard to get up and going after a severe migraine attack. But, drinking a lot of water, may help me get back on my feet faster. Dehydration is a dangerous situation. It is a lack of fluids and water that our bodies need to function. Symptoms of dehydration include;
  • Dry or sticky mouth
  • Low or no urine output; concentrated urine appears dark yellow
  • Not producing tears
  • Sunken eyes
  • Overall tiredness
  • Lethargic or comatose (with severe dehydration)


Sometimes the symptoms are masked by the migraine, so it is important to plan ahead. Keep a bottle of water with you at all times, and have as many refills as you want. :)

Do you have any other remedies for migraine hangover? Please share with your fellow sufferers.







 




Related Articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and

comment. I appreciate and value the interaction.