Monday, June 6, 2011

Oh, To Be Migraine Free

Last week was rough. It started alright, but by morning on Tuesday, I was sporting the scowl of a migraine. In addition I have somehow sprained or tore something in my chest and back. I spent most of the day Wednesday sitting in the emergency room. I left my pain doctors office and headed to the ER on his insistence. They took blood, did an EKG, x-rayed, and CT'd the heck out of me. They did not find any evidence that the pain was heart related. But, all that was given to me for my pain, both migraine and chest was valium which did not touch either. I was sent home in the same condition in which I had started the day. Blah!

Thursday, I stayed in bed unable to move without feeling one pain or the other.
By Friday, my scowl was a grimace and on Saturday, it turned into a full quasimodo migraine. Left eye drooping, slurred speech, and loss of motor control on the right side. A full blown 8+ migraine pain. The percoset was not working. Saturdays ringing of the bells of Notre Dame in my head made my transition from normal to Quasimodo complete, with feeling like there was a hump on my shoulder as well.

I have been having three to four migraine days a week for a couple of months. They have been limited to about a 5 on the pain scale. A whole bunch better than the seven a week I had been experiencing a year ago. It has been a answer to prayer that I have had any respite at all.

My father-in-law may have to undergo a lung transplant later this month. He has asked me to sign up as his primary caregiver. I have been helping care for my mother-in-law, who has Alzheimers, several days a week for over a year, and my father-in-law and I have become close friends during this time. I do not know at this time what all that will encompass, but he is a great friend and I did not hesitate to say, "yes". My prayer now is to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for the duration of the experience.

God will provide. I woke up Sunday, with nary a sign of the monster.  Praise the Lord! Now if I can just make it through the rest of the month with minimal disturbance from my migraines, I should be alright. Keep us in your prayers.







 


2 comments :

  1. I will definitely keep you and your family in my prayers. How awesome that you're willing to be a caregiver even though you're not at 100%. I'm sure they really appreciate you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather for the prayers. It means a lot to have my migraine friends and family pray for me. I believe God will supply me with all the strength I will need to accept this position, the duration of which could be as long or longer than 6 months. It's in His hands.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and

comment. I appreciate and value the interaction.