Thursday, October 14, 2010

Migraine Hangover or Depression?

I have actually been migraine free for the last five days! I have been active and productive the last ZERO DAYS. You read me right, no problems with the math, I just haven't been able to get myself up and around.

My last migraine (I wish) was last Friday. Let me rephrase that. The last migraine that I succumbed to was last Friday. And, of course, it kept me from doing something with a friend. I haven't had good quality friend-time in a while, and we had planned a week in advance to go to the local high school football game. 

Saturday came and went. I don't remember much, except that my alma mater won their game. I felt like I was run over by a truck, a big truck. One of those big 'ol 18 wheelers. Thump, thump thump, thump thump! 

On Sunday, I started feeling better but, not really. I didn't even have a twitch of the migraine monster and the physcological bruising had past the purple stage going toward greenish-yellow. (if you know what I mean)

Monday through today have just been rough around the edges. I'm in no pain. I just can't get myself to tackle the list of jobs around the house that have been waiting a long time for me. They are getting restless and afraid that I will never get them done. And, so they should worry. I worry about it. But I just can't raise the energy or the enthusiasm to strike a lick at them.

I think I have surpassed the "hangover zone" and entered into the "depression zone". This zone is very hard to get out of. It's full a pitfalls and obstacles. But I've decided to take a step. Move forward and start slow. Attack a small chore, then another, till I've started feeling better about the job list and ready to tackle a bigger, and a bigger project.

But it's not all about work, I need to find my pleasure time as well. I need to pick up my hobby horse and ride it some more. I need to call my friend and schedule another time to get out and do something fun in order to break this depression funk. There are going to be times that I have a migraine hangover and others that are bouts of depression.


  Subscribe To Feed

5 comments :

  1. Andy,

    Have you discussed this depression with your doctor? If you're depressed beyond the postdrome of your Migraine, depression screening would be a good idea. In the general population, it prevalence of depression is 17%. Among Migraineurs, it's 47%. None of us wants to have an other disease, but if there's one positive, it's that some of the antidepressants are also great for Migraine prevention for some people.

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering if the depressive aftermath is still part of the migraine itself. Hoping your hobby horse behaves and doesn't buck you off or clothesline you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Terri, I'm pretty open about being bi-polar II. Have been on antidepressants for a long time. I guess the point of my post was that it's sometimes hard to tell when the hangover is done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy,

    Oops. Guess I should have looked for more background before commenting. You're SO right about it being hard to tell the postdrome from depression issues.

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I should put my diagnosis in with my treatment List. Thanks for caring and thanks for commenting. It is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and

comment. I appreciate and value the interaction.