Friday, October 8, 2010

Hobby Horsing Around

The Hobby Horse - ColourImage by Fozzeee via Flickr
It's not easy to have and hold onto a hobby while dealing with migraine disease. The shackles that restrict us from going to work or visiting with the family, also prevent us from having much time for leisure. We that are afflicted with this invisible illness suffer many losses, not the least of these is time to pursue something for pleasure. Our hobby horse may be kept in the stable for much of the time.



It is a pleasure to be free from pain, even if only for a moment. Choosing to just relax or pick up our favorite pursuit can sometimes even cause us more stress. That is why we must make a decision to work or play before the opportunity rears it's head. Waiting till the moment is at hand can mean missing the moment all together. Be "ready" and also have a plan for "not".

Include your interests, what you enjoy doing the most, in your overall planning, so that you are ready when the opportunity is afforded. I enjoy playing basketball. A group of friends try to play weekly. I include this in my weekly to-do list. If I am able to play each Wednesday evening, then I show up. I always include it in my plans, even if at the time of planning I am down for the count. There have been times when I didn't think that I would be able to before hand, but showed up without the migraine monster on my back. I play when I am able and I am ready and willing even when I am not able. This goes for my blogging as well. I may have days at a time that I am unable to even look at the computer screen, but I have it on my to-do list and keep the tools I need at the ready as well. Whether it be my basketball shoes or my personal computer,  I like to keep the horse out in the open and not hiding in the back of the closet.

In this way, no matter what your hobby may be, keep the tools you need at the ready. Out of sight is out of mind. We have to use these fragments of time as they are given.

Always keep your hobby horse out and ready to ride.

  Subscribe To Feed


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and

comment. I appreciate and value the interaction.