Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Migraine: Buzzing In The Brain


I have tinnitus and it never stops. This constant buzz in my brain sometimes nearly drives me crazy. There are times when this tone is so loud, that I cannot hear someone speaking within a couple of feet to me. I sometimes talk to loud, because I cannot hear myself talking unless I nearly yell. There are times when I cannot sleep due to the rude sound. Ringing in the ears is not uncommon among migraine sufferers, and I believe that quite a few of us may have this problem.

Tinnitus, or ringing in the ears, can be caused by many different things including; Advancing age, anything in the external ear such as wax or a foreign body, Fluid, infection, loud noise exposure, disease of the middle ear bones or ear drum (tympanic membrane), inflammation and/or damage to the microscopic endings of the nerves in the inner ear. Any of these can cause tinnitus.

The ringing in my ears sometimes makes it hard to concentrate or even get to sleep. In order to overcome this, I like to turn on a fan. The noise the fan makes, masks the buzz in my head. If a fan is not available some sort of white noise will help. I have created an mp3 file of a white noise loop, that I can play on my ipod, through the speakers of the radio on my nightstand.

White noise is, in layman's terms a random signal, such as the static on the television tuned to a channel with no station signal. There are noise machines sold for home and professional use that mask sound to help with tinnitus or to mask other sounds. Sound machines that make the sound of a waterfall, or ocean waves are helpful as well.

Here is my sample loop. It is a 1mb file, so give it a minute to load.

2 comments :

  1. I have been having a problem with tinnitus, too. Thanks for the white noise tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome.

    You may not need an expensive white noise machine to get the job done. Sometimes running a fan, the washer or dryer, or even a radio playing softly in the background are enough to provide some relief.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and

comment. I appreciate and value the interaction.