Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Arterial Venous Malformation


Arterial venous malformation, or AVM for short. An abnormal connection between veins and arteries; that is what they found hidden under an arachnoid cyst in my left anterior temporal lobe. I was having surgery to remove or fenestrate the cyst, but they found more when they operated.

I was "Dain Bramaged"!
I had been joked with, all my life, because of my crazy antics. But, it turned out to be true. Not only did I have the arachnoid cyst, but also an AVM. Of course we did not know this before the start of the surgery.

Before the surgery, I had and MRA with contrast. A magnetic resonance angiography (MRA), is a powerful magnetic field, radio waves and a computer that produce detailed images. It is obviously less invasive than a catheter angiography. For whatever reason, my test did not show the AVM lying beneath the arachnoid cyst.

Entering into the surgery, I was scared but resolved. I had a feeling that I wouldn't wake up, but I had hope. Being a Christian I was certain that my God would take care of me, no matter what the outcome. I updated my Will, and created a list of all the information that my wife might need.

I had taken the time to order a bouquet of candy flowers from a specialty shop, and wrote a letter to my family explaining my love for them and my hopes for their futures. It was set to arrive at the house two days after the surgery.

I had a quiet calm that morning (even before I was given "something" to help me relax). I resolved that no matter what, I would awake to a new day, a new beginning. As the anesthesiologist asked me, "Are you ready to take a little trip?", I answered, "I'm not going nowhere with out my lugga."

Please come back Friday for the conclusion of this story, or better yet, get my feed automatically by choosing one of the options to the right.


Subscribe to RSS for Easy Updates


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and

comment. I appreciate and value the interaction.