Thursday, March 17, 2011

Could It Be Post Migraine Stress Disorder?

I asked if there was a  legit term for this back in May of 2009. I didn't get anyone saying that it was not. So, I visit the question again. 

 A migraine hangover is sometimes used to describe that time after an attack, when you may not be experiencing the migraine, but still feel many of the symptoms. A hangover almost sums it up, but I think that this could also be called Post Migraine Stress Disorder (PMSD).

When we are exhausted, disoriented, nauseous, and weak with the fear that at any moment the migraine monster will rear it's ugly head, and try to take your head off at the eyebrows. This is PMSD.

There is no doubt that migraine disease is harsh. But there is nothing pretty about the aftermath either. We dread the everyday happenings that could send us back to the abyss. Be it the bright sunlight reflecting from a car windshield, The sound of a small child crying  nearby, the strong smell of someone's perfume, a change in the weather, or the lack of sleep even though you haven't left the bed for three days straight. This is PMSD. 

PMSD may affect many migraine sufferers. All we can do is try our best to overcome it and return to our family and friends, and what passes for our normal world as quickly as our bodies will allow.

Obviously I'm not a professional so I don't know if I have the right to give this ailment an official title or not, but this is what I call it. Do you have a different name for it? Or do you suffer from PMSD as well? Please tell me what you think.







 


Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment :

  1. It's definitely real. I've mostly heard it referred to as the postdome phase of a migraine.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and

comment. I appreciate and value the interaction.