Friday, March 25, 2011

Migraine Blasphemy

We read, hear, and see supposed migraine causes and treatments every day. The sheer multitude of incorrect information causes even the the most upbeat person to lose their belief in an eventual cure. There are certainly more questions than  answers. Scientists and laypersons around the world are working on it, and many claim to have it already.

So how do we know what is right and what is wrong? What is the cause of migraine? Is there one cure that works for every migraineur? What are the best sources for diagnosis and treatment? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?(Just making sure you are awake      and everyone knows the answer is 2.)

There is so much more disinformation than truth to be found on the web. It makes this tool useless or too overwhelming at times. Some of these questions have answers and some do not. It can be a blasphemy of migraine information. The internet is a wonderful thing. Anyone can say almost anything they want. When searching for the truth, you must wade through a lot of polluted disinformation. Many people will follow the very first link that Google provides and accept it as definitive and it may not be. Some web sources provide disinformation because they don't know any better, and some because they are trying to sell you something. Just be aware of the blasphemy of truth about migraines on the internet.

I thought that I would provide a list of web sources that I trust. These sites strive to provide articles that have current information. This list is not the quintessential list of all time. It is a good collection of current web sites to use for the unbiased answers to migraine questions.

I bet you noticed how short this list is. Some may disagree with my choices. Feel free to comment and state why you would add to, or subtract from my list.






 



2 comments :

  1. Thanks for the list, short is better!!! I also use PubMed, but if you aren't comfortable with a lot of medical jargon and tons of ambiguity its not the best place in the world.

    One of the saddest things for me is that with the exception of triptans and a few new antiseizure medications not much new in the way of medication has happened since I was diagnosed with migraine in the 1970's. Wish there was better progress for all the migraineurs out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely depend on my neurologist. The American Headache Foundation has now formed the American Migraine Foundation. Pretty much has the same information. I think it is very important to stick to reliable resources. I can't stand the Excedrin Migraine commercials right now. Caffeine is not good for migraines! It may temporarily help but the caffeine crash can bring it back. I've gone through that before.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and

comment. I appreciate and value the interaction.