Thursday, September 29, 2011

Migraine And The Abbreviated Life

There are so many people that have suffered from migraine, or other invisible illness, for much of their lives. I myself have dealt with Migraines for over 30 years. That is about 60% of the years of my life. That's means that for more than half of my life, I have been suffering, been forced to stay in bed, cancel plans, miss some of the milestones of my children's lives, and too many other activities to count in a single blog article. I don't want to obsess over them anyway. It's just too depressing. But, this is what I mean by an abbreviated life.

An abbreviated life is one that stops and starts, has gaps in time when we are just not able to contribute experiences in other's lives in general and the world as a whole.

It's not unusual for us to wake up and be unable to face the day. To bow out of the days events even though they may be part of our our own dreams and/or plans. We are there one minute and gone the next. The ones we love know not to plan anything that may require our presence. That we may have to exit what ever is happening and be gone for hours or days at a time.

Sometimes I feel like what some people like about me is that I'm a reliable disappointment. (just joking) It is easy for a severe pain sufferer to condemn themselves as a disappointment to others as they are looking at the world from the wrong end of the binoculars. The pain sufferer may feel worse than the people around even suspect. The pain being invisible to others. It should be known that an abbreviated life, is the existence that many other people with invisible and visible illnesses lead as well. How do we exist beyond an abbreviated life?

  • Work hard to find a treatment plan that works for you and stick with it.
  • Make plans that you are more likely to be able to finish. And work up in scale as much as possible. Try finding hobbies or other jobs that can be worked on in small segments and are easier to pick up and lay down.
  • Take medicine and treatments that help you to live more thoroughly. Sometimes treatments may be set aside even though they work, simply due the cost or time it takes for these treatments.
  • Teach your family and friends about your suffering and provide ways that they can help you.
  • Let them know about food allergies or triggers.
  • Teach them about other triggers that can cause you trouble.
  • Act in accordance with given prescriptions, treatments and any triggers that affect you. If you do not take these seriously or act nonchalant about missing medicines or being around  these triggers, it makes it difficult for those around you to take these things seriously as well.
What other ways do you have to overcome the abbreviated life that claims migraine as well other invisible illness victims?  Feel free to leave your comments below or email me this information, or any other questions or examples of living beyond the abbreviated life.






 




2 comments :

  1. I just found your blog and have found it quite helpful in dealing with the stigma attached to the invisible illness of migraines that I am suffering. I value your blog posts because I feel the same way about missing things and having to stay in bed all day or for days. I recently started botox shots and they seem to be helping me with less migraines a month so far. Success I say! I went from having migraines almost every day to 2-3 a week now. I am so happy with that progress I could leap and jump in the air and do pirouettes! Keep up the fantastic work with your blog and I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much for sharing your experiences with migraines. The 'abbreviated life' article so resonated with me-I didn't know anyone else understood. I have felt such shame, guilt around missing social events, being as you coined-a 'reliable disappointment'....that is how it has felt. It helps to know that I am not alone-I so appreciate your tips and advice-and for being honest with your feelings as a migraineur. Thanks for blogging.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and

comment. I appreciate and value the interaction.