Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Migraine And Keeping Your Sanity

Migraine makes keeping your sanity feel almost impossible.  We work so hard to keep our sanity and migraine works just as hard to keep us from it. Here are some ways that might help in keeping your sanity while dealing with migraine. This list is not all inclusive. They are just the beginning in 'keeping sanity' despite your invisible illness. See "Migraine And Living Life", and "Migraine And Work" for other ideas you may use in your struggle.



  • Find a treatment plan that works for you and stick with it. Even if this plan does not keep you migraine free, finding a way to decrease or lessen them is a must. Work hard to find some kind of relief, if only for a short while. This is important for you and your life, your job, and your sanity. Finding one can be tough, but don't give up.

  • Exercise daily:  The advantages of exercise are  undeniable but many of us continue to ignore this.  Remember that exercise strengthens our bodies and our minds and helps improve our endurance.  This translates into everything we do, whether it is the work environment, or the activities of daily living.  It also helps us feel in control and healthy, and reduces stress.  

  • Schedule time for yourself:  Even if it is only for 30 minutes, schedule some renewal time for yourself. Everyday bathroom time does not count. Take a nap, meditate, read. Do something that you feel is relaxing and enjoyable to you. You might find that when you take a few minutes for yourself, it feels that you have more time for other things.

  • Be grateful:  The world is a wonderful place and we have been given many gifts.  I feel that every day I wake up is another gift and that everything that follows throughout the day becomes a bonus.

  • Try finding hobbies or other jobs that can be worked on in small segments and are easier to pick up and lay down.

  • Find activities that you can stick with. Activities become habits. Habits become your character. Your character becomes your destiny. Become a slave to good habits. Doing the right things right develops strength of character that leads to success.

  • Cultivate relationships with family and friends. Make it a planned habit to communicate with them face to face, through the phone, email, texting, and attending church activities. I find that using Facebook is also a good way to keep up with the lives of friends and family.

  • Don’t take yourself too seriously:  I will leave you with this last idea; Infuse humor in your life and do not to take yourself too seriously.  Lose your ego and liberate yourself. Life is for growing and learning. Try to enjoy all the little moments of your day and stay happy.








4 comments :

  1. I love the picture. I wish I could slap on a bandaide like that at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too late... I lot my sanity. I do follow all those though and they are very good coping tips. However, while working full time I found when they pain levels go insane, and then I stop being able to sleep, which for some odd reason doesn't help... my mind just goes to that depressed place for a bit. And then I bounce back. And then it happens again. So I think the clinic term is pain induced depression. Or as my doctor called it when I was suidical 'a severe reaction to pain'. Yeah. That. I don't think I can work and handle chonic migraines at the same time... it breaks my mind. I'm on yet another short term leave as result. I wonder when they will figure out it is simply impossible for someone to work in that much pain? Either way, I feel much better now that I'm on leave becuase I can use coping stragegies that actully work, and of course, control my enviroment and avoid triggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to add that time management, breaking large tasks into small pieces, goal setting and assertiveness also help keep your sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that exercising daily has been key in my life improving. I only started 1 year ago; before that I never exercised. I mean NEVER. And the routine has improved my mental and physical health equally, which has been a huge but pleasant surprise.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and

comment. I appreciate and value the interaction.